October 2 Conakry
Home Dave's Photos Glossary Dave's Profile Dave's Discussion

Dave's Presentation
Assessment Report
Risk Analysis
Job Description
Situation Report
September 30 The beginning
October 1 Paris
October 2 Conakry
October 3 Freetown
October 4 Briefing
October 5 Laurent & Me
October 6 The field
October 7 Nearly in Charge
October 8 The phone
October 10 No Generator
October 11 My Life
October 14 How much Missing?
October 19 My Informants
October 22 Always do it yourself
October 27 Why an Evaluation?
November 9 The Donors
November 20 R&R was great!
November 21 Is this me?
November 27 No Project !!!
December 3 The Beach
December 10 The Office
December 17 Club Med
December 24 Tuscan Rendering
December 30 Sienna Cream
January 7 It's Personal
January 14 Caring!!
January 21 Getting to know You
January 28 Need Assesments
February 5 Closer
February 12 Police Harassment
February 22 Beyond Borders
March 1 Obsession
March 8 It's Time (nearly)
March 10 Radio Silence
March 18 Represntation
March 31 Assessments
April 10 Re-Assessment
April 20 Security Matters
April 30 You can never have too much!!
May 6 The Strong Leader
May 14 The Times They are a Changing
May 25 Richard the Third head of mission
June 2 Learning Opportunity
June 10 Indecent Proposal
June 13 The Handover
June 14 Evaluation Time
June 17 Debt, Drugs and Pot Plants
June 17 In Transit
June 24 Home Alone
June 29 Knowing Me Knowing You aha!
July 1 THE END

["So I was in a bit of trouble and I thought maybe I could talk my way through, however that didn't work out to well and they accused me of trying to bribe them."]

Saturday October 2nd

8:00 am: I had to clear my luggage and the boxes through customs and then re-enter again for my flight to Freetown. It was a bit of an ordeal and this really nice guy Mohamed helped me, he said he was one of the officials in the airport. He said even though he had a job he was having a really hard time, his wife had just died and he had six kids and one of them was really sick and needed a special operation. Life is just so tough in Africa so the least I could do was give him the rest of the money I had in my wallet it was only $50 US. He said that he also liked reading to cheer him up and that If I had anything in French or English to read it would help him out so I gave him a few magazines, I think he will appreciate them more than the team in the field.

6:00pm: I arrived in Freetown about 5 hours ago, its a bit crazy they checked my boxes and started to ask me about what is in the boxes, I said I didn't really know. Then they looked for themselves and asked do you have all the paper work for the satellite phone and the Codan radio. Then I remembered I was supposed to go back to logistics yesterday at 2:00pm to pick up an important envelope that I shouldn't forget that I would need for the boxes. So I was in a bit of trouble and I thought maybe I could talk my way through, however that didn't work out to well and they accused me of trying to bribe them. They eventually let me go, but didn't let me through with any of the boxes and told me I had to report to immigration on Monday with a representative of my organization to vouch for me. I had missed the Helicopter into town, so had to take the last ferry across to main wharf in Freetown, I hope that Hope thinks to pick me up from the wharf instead of the Helipad.

9:00pm: Ok I am on the main wharf, the boat left a bit late after breaking down a few times.  I got talking to this guy called Isah, who said I shouldn't travel through town at this time at night and said that I could stay with him and his family and then could get me to the Hope International office tomorrow, there is no sign of a Hope International Vehicle. I am really thankful, without the help of Isah, I would be in real trouble.




Dave (me)  Claudia

 Angelina   Ricardo  

 Claude      Christian

 Jen             Petra

 Bono          Dick

  Anne         Peter

 Veronique   Richard